Updated: Sep 27, 2022
Ingredients - 12oz Field and Forge Amber Lager - 1 package (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast - 2 Tbsp melted butter - 2 Tbsp sugar - 1 ½ tsp salt - 4 to 4 1/2 cups AP Flour Boiling - 10 Cup Water - 2/3 Cup Baking Soda Topping - 1 egg yolk - 1 Tbsp water - Coarse salt
1. In a small saucepan, heat beer to 110°-115°; remove from heat. Stir in yeast until dissolved. In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, salt, yeast mixture, and 3 cups flour; mix until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 425°. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 8 balls. Roll each into a 12-in. rope. Cut each rope into 1-in. pieces.
4. In a large pot, bring 10 cups of water and baking soda to a boil. Drop nuggets, 12 at a time, into boiling water—Cook for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels.
5. Place on greased baking sheets. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water; brush over pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to a wire rack to cool.