Updated: Dec 2, 2022
Porter Chocolate Cake
2 Cup F&F Marshmallow Porter
2 Cup unsalted butter – cold
1 ½ Cup Cocoa Powder
4 Cup All Purpose Flour
4 Cup Sugar
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 ½ Tsp Salt
4 large eggs – room temp
¾ Cup sour cream
16oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
2 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare two 9" cake pans by greasing the edges, dusting with flour and lining the bottom with parchment circles.
2. For the cake: Combine the beer and butter in a medium pot and heat until the butter melts. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
3. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
4. In your mixer bowl, beat together the eggs and sour cream.
5. Add the porter-cocoa mixture, mixing to combine.
6. Add the flour mixture and mix at slow speed. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix again for 1 minute.
7. Divide the batter equally among the prepared pans.
8. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove cakes from the oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes before turning the cakes out onto the rack to finish cooling.
9. For the frosting: Place the chopped chocolate in a bowl. Bring the cream to a simmer in a medium pot then pour the hot cream over the chocolate to melt. Add vanilla and stir until smooth. Place in refrigerator to cool.
10. To assemble: Trim the top of the cake layers to be level, if necessary. Stack your cakes with a layer of icing in between and use remaining icing to frost the outside of your cake.
*Tip* For a lighter frosting, whip your ganache icing with your whisk attachment until desired consistency is reached.